- Determine Use – IDL is used successfully as an intervention tool for SEND a revision aid or as a whole class activity. Once you have identified what you want to achieve with IDL you can tailor its use to benefit your students.
- Consistency – Using IDL regularly means students will make consistent progress. Evidence shows that using IDL for at least one hour a week (per programme) significantly improves student ability.
- Accessibility – As a cloud-based programme IDL can be used from home or in the classroom. Simply log in via the website or use our dedicated apps for Apple and Android tablets.
- Supervision – Guidance from a teacher or facilitator can help students get to grips with the IDL programme and help you to identify problem areas quickly. Supervision is not required but the extra help can go a long way. Students may respond more effectively to in-person learning and can voice any difficulties they are having.
- Identification – Be sure to use the free IDL Literacy & Numeracy screeners to identify any areas that students need assistance with. Once you have identified these areas you can use them to guide your interventions.
- Use alongside your school’s reading scheme – Each programme will supplement the other leading to quicker progression rates. You can even use the IDL results to tailor your other interventions and reading scheme more effectively ensuring that both are roughly the same level.
- Motivation – Using the downloadable certificates and giving praise can really help motivate students to progress reduce anxiety and build learner confidence.
- Dedicated Space – Providing a dedicated space to study will allow students to use the multi-sensory components effectively such as recording their own voice and listening to themselves. Using these features produces quicker progress and keeps students engaged with the programme.
- Setting up IDL – Taking the time to set up the background colours for each student will reduce visual stress and promote engagement.
- Support – Make use of our free online training sessions to ensure you are getting the most out of IDL. Please click here to see our upcoming training events.
Top tips for Integrating IDL into your School
At IDL we are passionate about supporting you and your learners to ensure you get the most out of the programme. Here are our top 10 tips for integrating IDL into your school to maximise student engagement and progression.Get the latest news to your inbox